Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Can It Be?!! Yey for the Lady-Birds!

I think it might just be.

When chickens are raised, they normally begin to lay eggs around 20 weeks of age. They will start laying eggs regularly a few weeks after. I'm not sure how soon our chicks started laying last time, but it seems we might just have our first egg!

Bibbi and Survivor have been laying eggs almost daily for awhile. The large, green egg on the left is her's (roughly 2.7 ounces). Bibbi lays the small tanish-white egg (middle egg) (1.8 ounces). Today I went to the coop and found one egg...and it's pretty brown. I'd be willing to bet that one of our "little ladies" has started laying! :D It's brown, 2 ounces (far right). I'm not sure, unfortunately, who laid it...I think it might have been one of the Black Sex links...but I'm not sure. I'm going to eat it tonight. I'll let you know how it tastes. :-P


See it over there?? What a nice little egg. :)

I counted and if the chicks were really born on February 11 (we got them the 12th) then today would be, on the dot, their 18-week Birthday! It's kinda early to start laying, I guess, but that's fine with me! :D
Ok, that's the news of the week...I'll let you know if this new egg keeps "appearing". ;)



1 comment:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Hmmm...I wonder how many are double or triple yolkers?

Congrats on the eggs!

~Lisa